DIFFERENT HAIR EXTENSIONS METHOD COMPARISON
Sometimes it can be difficult to know what extensions are right for you and why. As we mention, an in person consultation is absolutely necessary so our hair extension technicians can evaluate your hair and discuss with you the different hair extensions method which method is best and why.
This hair extensions method comparison information is not a substitute for a consultation. But we wanted to let you know the pros and cons of each method, along with information that can help you review what you can expect with each method and how they compare. We hope you find this helpful.
Hot Fusion or Keratin Bond:
Keratin U-tip bonds are pre-tipped with a bond that are attached to the hair using a heating element. Your hair is placed between the U-tip and sealed with a hot extension tool that melts the bond to your hair. The bonds are attached approximately ¼ inch from the root, leaving some space to allow for the natural and free flowing movement of your hair. This method is considered a strand by strand method.
The cost Hot Fusion or Keratin Bond hair extensions depends on the brand of hair used, how many strands are added, the length and the quality of the hair. In addition to this the cost can increase or decrease depending on the level experience and expertise your hair extension technician actually has.
– Most suitable for coarse, thick hair.
– Hair extensions can last up to six months with proper care.
– Hair is added throughout the entire scalp in a very particular pattern. Therefore, this does not feel bulky.
– No regular maintenance appointments are required for this method compared to other methods that require maintained every 6 – 8 weeks.
– One of the methods that requires the most time for an installation. With a partial install you can expect 2 – 4 hours. For a full installation you can expect anywhere from 4 – 8 hours depending on the level of experience of your hair extension technician.
– Not reusable when removed.
– A new set will be required every 5 – 6 months.
Avoid any oil-based products or over-styling. Follow standard hair extension maintenance procedures.
Micro-Loops & Links
Hair extension method where small sections of your hair are pulled through a small link anywhere from 4mm – 6mm cylinder/link. The cylinder has an interior silicone lining that protects your hair from breaking. Then the extension is inserted through the link and clamped shut with a special tool. This method is also considered a strand by strand method.
The cost for strand by strand hair extensions such as Micro-Loops or Links depends largely on the brand, how many strands are added, and of course the quality and length of hair you choose.
– Since the extensions are individual strands, the hair moves a little more naturally.
– This application uses no heat or glue and can last many months depending on the quality of hair you choose.
– The hair is reusable which makes this cost effective.
– On occasion the extensions can slide down or off but can easily be reattached in very little time by an experienced technician.
– Since this method is attached strand by strand this method like Fusion has a longer installation time. With a partial install you can expect 2 – 4 hours. For a full installation you can expect anywhere from 4 – 8 hours depending on the level of experience of your hair extension technician.
– Beads or links can be visible if not placed appropriately and will slip more easily than any other method.
– Not suitable for thin, fine hair as the bonds can be visible through the hair.
– Application requires a high learning curve for a successful application. So make sure your hair extension technician is certified like our Radiance Hair Extension Technicians.
Every 6 – 8 weeks you are required to come back for maintenance. Each individual link is removed, the strand of your hair is combed out removing all shed hairs, then the extension is freshly reapplied.
Tape in Extensions:
Tape in hair extensions is the newest method of extensions available. They are applied using either double or single-sided polyurethane tape. This tape contains a surgical grade adhesive. Each tape in extension is comprised of two parts, a top and a bottom. Your natural hair is selected and sandwiched in between the extensions.
The cost for tape in extension can vary depending on the brand, type of hair, quality and length of hair.
– Fastest method of application. Partial or volume applications take 20-30 minutes and extended length or full applications take 45-60 minutes.
– No heat or tools required for an application.
– Panels lay very flat on the head, virtually undetectable.
– Suitable for thin, fine hair.
– Considered to be one of the safest method of hair extensions available, as the weight of the panel is spread out over a larger area, causing minimal to no damage to the client’s hair.
– The extensions are reusable.
– You can’t wash your hair for 24-48 hours after application as the bond needs time to cure and adhere properly to the hair.
– The use of any silicone or oil based products directly on the adhesive may cause the panels to slip.
Avoid any silicone or oil-based products at the root of the hair. Brush hair daily from root to tip. Style hair as normal. You will be required to return for a tightening about every 6 – 8 weeks.
Commonly known as a weave, sew-in or braided extensions are ideal for almost any client. The client’s hair is braided into rows or commonly called tracts, to create a base for the extensions. When this is completed the wefts are sewn onto the braids using a needle and thread.
The cost weave/sew-in extensions depends on the quality and length of the hair, how many rows you require and our installation fee.
– Oil or silicone-based products may be used at the scalp as slipping will not occur unless the braids become loose.
– Suitable for almost all types of hair.
– Hair is reusable making this economical.
– This is a non-invasive method of extensions as no heat or glue is required for an application. Just simply thread and a very skilled hand.
– Extensions are concentrated on rows and not throughout your entire scalp.
– Make sure your braids are not too tight as they can cause a headache.
Wash hair regularly. Avoid over styling, but shampoo, blow-dry, curl or straighten as you would with your normal hair. You will be required to return to the salon for a tightening every 6 – 8 weeks on a regular basis.
Most suitable for special occasions or events when extensions can be removed before bedtime. Clip-In extensions are really only to be used for occasional wear.
The cost for clip in extensions depends on the type of hair as well as the brand, length and quality.
– Nice versatility by having the option to put in and take out the hair on a daily basis.
– No commitment to permanent extensions means you have the ability to change your hair color or style often.
– Hair can be taken in and out without having to go to the salon.
– Clip in hair extensions cannot be worn for long periods of time and must be removed before bedtime.
– Not ideal for thin, fine hair as clips and base could be too bulky or heavy for the hair wearer.
– Unless used with proper care and maintenance, hair only lasts for a few months
Wash hair extensions as infrequently as possible and apply a deep conditioner if the hair becomes dry or dull. Keep them stored in a dry place out of the sun and not in a plastic bag such as a Ziploc bag. It is important that the container or bag you store them in has air circulation.
Remember that whatever method you select please do so with the help of a certified and licensed hair extension technician. Booking a consultation is the very best decision. Our qualified technicians will help you to select which method is best for you, suits your lifestyle and is safest for your hair type. Book with us today!